Saturday, May 30, 2020

I Care

I care. I care deeply. Daily, I am horrified at what I see on the news. I limit myself to an hour a day. A half hour of local and a half hour of national news is all I can stand. I do read thoughtful and carefully researched articles, but I can only stand so much of actually watching the news. 

The same goes for discussing hot topics on social media. I used to get into the fray, but I am just too exhausted to do it now. I have yet to see a case where arguing on social media changes anyone's mind. 

Yes, I care. I am horrified at what has happened to Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd. I am horrified by all the incidents of senseless violence that have come before. I am horrified by the cavalier attitudes towards these incidents. I am horrified to the point of tears and I do not cry easily.

Even though I no longer get into the fray publicly on social media, I try to do things that will hopefully help situations in the long run. I am active in my party's local executive committee. I support candidates with whom I share values and ideals in hopes of making my city, state, and country a better place. I call and write my representatives to let them know how I feel about pending legislation. And, I vote. I will wear my mask and take my Clorox wipes to the polls with me in November. I will stand in line (probably sitting on my walker!) as long as it takes.

Post on social media if that is your thing. I have read a meme that says something to the effect that people post not in hopes of changing minds, but to keep from being changed themselves.

Whatever works for you.

Just keep caring.


2 comments:

Doug Boone said...

Well said, Karen. You captured my feelings in a more eloquent way than I could have.

Doug Boone

Karen :) said...

Thanks,Doug! Hope you and Marilyn are safe and well!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...