Thursday, July 20, 2006

Happy Birthday, Sharon

Today is my friend Sharon's birthday. She is 3 months older than I am. This year, as I do every year, I will pray that this next year will be a bit easier on this dear person.

Sharon is one of those people who has a string of difficult life situations going on all at once. For starters, her husband is chronically ill and in constant pain. He has had to retire early, and now Sharon is the primary support of her family.
Social Workers are not in the profession to get rich, so fiancial struggles are a constant in her life.

Another constant stressor is concern for her granddaughter. Sharon's daughter is diagnosed with bipolar disorder, characterized by impulsivity, poor judgement, and a host of other symptoms. The daughter uses Sharon's 4 year old granddaughter as a weapon and the needs of this child come second to her own. This puts the child's safety in constant jeopardy. Sharon is trying to learn to let go, but this is not easy.

And, if that were not enough, Sharon has a two year old grandson who is diagnosed with multiple disabilities, including mental retardation and neuromuscular symptoms. He is non-verbal and requires constant care which is mercifully provided most of the time by Sharon's parents. But, Sharon is still called upon to provide the bulk of decision making about this child's medical and social needs.

Add everyday stressors such as the air conditioner going out on the hottest day of the year and rebuilding her practice after a recent job change and I have to wonder how she gets out of bed in the morning.

But, she does. And my admiration for her grows daily.

Happy Birthday, my friend. I am praying once again that this will be your year.

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...