Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Phone

Well, I got a new Razr phone today. But, it was not for me. It was for my 11 year old neighbor, Sam.

Like many families, Sam's has given up the use of land lines in favor of cellphones for each family member. This is a money saving measure. But, Sam was given a cheap phone that did not work properly. This left her unacceptably vulnerable as far as I was concerned.

Sam has to worry about things that were not even on my radar screen when I was her age. Her brother is an ex-drug user and has been clean for several months now. But, some of his druggie friends continue to try to get him back into their fold. Add a dad with a hot temper who does not always set a good example for his family, and sometimes things are a bit chaotic at Sam's house. Her cellphone is her security.

When I explained to the lady at the cell phone place about why I needed a phone without a plan (mine is not yet upgrade eligible), she "just happened" to have a returned Razr in perfect condition in the back. She could "make me a deal" for about 1/3 of the retail cost of the phone.

I whipped out the debit card so fast, I am surprised that it didn't catch fire.

And bought peace of mind for Sam. And, for me.

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...