Sunday, August 09, 2009

Today's Sermon

This morning, our new pastor began his sermon with a story about a man named Jack. Jack is a youth minister in the Central Mississippi area.

Well, my ears immediately perked up. I happen to KNOW a Jack who is a youth minister in the Central Mississippi area. My pastor went on with the story about Jack and how Jack feared his father for the first part of his life. This fit in with what I know about Jack, but I still could not be totally certain that this Jack was the one I know.

The story went on that Jack's mother, during an after dinner walk, revealed to Jack that the man he so feared was his stepfather, not his biological father. More pieces fell into place, but I was still not sure.

Then the preacher mentioned the words helicopter, shot down, and Vietnam and I knew, without a doubt, that this was the Jack I know. The youngest brother of my best friend in life, Teresa. Tears streamed down my face as our preacher continued his sermon about God the Father's love for us.

Instead of becoming a bitter and angry man, Jack took the knowledge of the kind of man his real father was to become a faithful husband, father, youth minister, and teacher. He is a living example of God's healing power.

Amen.


1 comment:

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Inspiring story~ Thanks for sharing.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...