Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Claiborne County













Today my husband and I went on a day trip to nearby Claiborne County. We both spent some of our growing up years down there, so it tends to be like going "home."

My husband and I are opposites. He is shy, where I am outgoing. He likes to watch the History Channel, while I can stay glued to "America's Got Talent" for hours. He likes to hike and camp. My idea of "roughing it" is a hotel without room service.

We do tend to have some difficulty coming up with things that we can do together. But today, we came up with a perfect activity. Bill took me on a tour of some of his favorite places in Claiborne County and I took pictures to serve as fodder for future watercolor projects. We took in everything from graveyards to the old Grand Gulf jailhouse. Bill knows so much of the area history in such detail that he makes a wonderful "tour guide."

We did pop into Jefferson County long enough to eat at the Old Country Store. Arthur Davis and his "so good it makes you want to slap your mama" fried chicken were featured in Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt" series. The chicken was truly divine, as were the sweet potatoes and macaroni and cheese. Mr. Davis says that he cooks like he is cooking for himself. He just happens to share it with a few friends. I was mighty glad to be his friend today!

Lunch at the Old Country Store: $20.00 for two including tip.
Gas for the van: $35.00.
A great time with my husband of almost 26 years?

Priceless



1 comment:

Eleanor said...

Lovely!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...