Monday, October 19, 2009

Art Association

Today, I took my artwork for the upcoming show to the Firehouse Gallery. This is an older building and not disability friendly at all. There is also very little parking, and most of what is available is not level.

I parked on a slope and wrestled my walker out of the van. Then, I put my pictures on my walker and slowly began to make my way to the building. A lady who was about to get in her car offered to help, but I waved her on, thinking that I could get help from someone still inside.

Boy was I wrong! I got to the entrance to the building and tried to get someone to help me lift one side of my walker over the three inch stoop area. I was ignored for about 5 minutes, and then a lady taking submissions told me she would get to me later.

I waited until my legs were giving out, and went around to try to pull my walker over the stoop myself so I could get in and sit down while I waited. The submission lady finally came over and helped when she saw I was struggling. She was obviously not pleased that I took her away from her task.

I finally got my submissions entered, but the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth. At the opening meeting, only one person in the entire gathering offered assistance of any kind. These folks just do not seem very "disability friendly."

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect people to fall over backwards accommodating me. But a little help and/or understanding would be appreciated. Is that too much to ask?

It looks like it.


1 comment:

Eleanor said...

I hate that this happened to you, and once your pieces are on that wall I hope the reaction they get will make those folks sit up and take notice.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...