Friday, August 09, 2013

Benjamin Franklin: An American Life

I began reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Benjamin Franklin on May 29th. I finished it on August 8th. I can't remember when it last took me over two months to read a book. This particular tome was not easily read during my husband's hospital stays or waiting for doctor appointments.

That said, overall, this was an absolutely fascinating read. Isaacson was extremely adept at showing the whole man. Franklin was often callous, and indifferent to his family. He could be manipulative and misleading. The demands of his ego could sometimes override his better judgement. In short, he was all too human.

Of course, these lesser qualities were balanced with his many accomplishments. Every school child knows of his studies in harnessing electricity, Poor Richard's Almanack, and his role as a Founding Father. Not as well known were his efforts in establishing the first volunteer fire brigade, the first subscription library, and the flexible urinary catheter, among dozens of other achievements. Of course, among his many inventions, bifocals are indeed a mixed blessing!

Worth the read.

I promise. 






No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...