Thursday, August 15, 2013

Star Trek: Voyager

I find it a bit ironic that I (finally!) finished watching Star Trek: Voyager on the 80th birthday of Betty Jo (Bjo) Trimble. Bjo waged a successful "Save Star Trek" campaign back in the 1960's that allowed Star Trek to run a third season and further cement its legacy in the hearts of Trekkies everywhere.

I missed Voyager the first time around. I was in graduate school and starting a career in mental health when it came out. Not helping was the fact that it came on a station which we did not consistently receive and the broadcast times were at some unholy hour. These were pre-DVR days. I figured that this was one Star Trek series that I would just have to miss.

Then, along came Netflix. When they began offering the streaming service, I immediately searched for Voyager and was overjoyed when I found it among the offerings. It did not take me long to fall in love with this incarnation of the Trek franchise, as I had with TOS and TNG. No, I am not going to spell those out. True Trekkies will get it.

This series was perfectly cast. My favorite character is The Doctor, played to perfection by the immensely talented Robert Picardo. I admit had my doubts about a woman captain, but Kate Mulgrew as Captain Kathryn Janeway, proved to be as tough (maybe tougher!) than Kirk or Picard.

Next up, another Trek series that was buried on obscure stations at odd times.
Star Trek: Enterprise.

I can't wait to go exploring the galaxy, Trek style, once again.


No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...