Sunday, April 03, 2016

Madama Butterfly

Yesterday, I had the experience of seeing a Metropolitan Opera simulcast via Fathom Events at Tinseltown in Pearl. It was one of the most wonderful things that I have ever seen in my life. And, I have seen a lot. 

My introduction to opera was through my mother's recordings of Met performances back in the 1950's and '60's. One of these recordings was Madama Butterfly. Dorothy Kirsten was the soprano lead and Daniele Barioni was the tenor. I fell instantly and irrevocably in love with Puccini. 
However, I had never seen a stage production of Butterfly until yesterday. 

Dressed in my butterfly sweater and my "Un Bel Di" bracelet from operabracelets.com, I went to experience Butterfly. I was absolutely enchanted. The costumes were exquisite, the sets, simple, and elegant, and Kristine Opolais, and Roberto Alagna were perfect for Cio Cio San and Pinkerton. They are gifted vocalists who are also physically appealing enough to be believable in the roles. 

There is supposed to be an encore at 6:30 PM at Tinseltown in Pearl if you are interested in this amazing event. 

 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...