Friday, April 01, 2016

The Bird

I admit it. I have never been much of a bird person. I saw the Hitchcock movie when I was a child and it completely freaked me out. 

But, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that a cardinal was building a nest in the azalea bush right outside the room in my home that I use for an office. She is probably not six feet from where I sit when I am working on my computer, albeit separated by a window and a screen. 


I became instantly fascinated as I watched her build her nest. She would bring in more twigs and leaves, then sit on the nest, changing positions every five minutes or so. I guess she was making sure that something she was going to be sitting on for a while was as comfortable as possible. She is spending a little more time in the nest each day. I have not seen her mate around, so she apparently has not laid her eggs. I hear cardinal daddies are pretty good at helping keep the eggs warm. Poor mama has to go start building yet another nest. 

Now, I find myself feeling a bit like a mother hen! I worried that this weeks storms and wind might harm the nest. I have been concerned about possible predators. Do I feed her or will that attract creatures who might do her and her babies harm?? My husband is not helpful in his "that's just nature" approach! This is MY cardinal! 

I have named her "Mamacarla" in honor of a friend who has a nurturing soul. 

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Mamacarla and the babies. 

 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...