Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Musings of a “Cradle” Methodist



I was baptized in the Methodist Church when I was an infant. My great grandfather’s family built Pine Ridge (now united) Methodist Church in Kentwood, Louisiana back in 1896.

Since then, I have been a member of Redbone UMC, Crawford Street UMC, and now Hermanville, UMC.

Among long time members of a group like the United Methodist Church, there seems to be sort of a collective memory. We Methodists tend to love our routines and traditions. We know that when we recite the Apostle’s Creed on Sunday mornings, that thousands of other United Methodists are reciting it as well. We crave the opportunity to pray as a group. We love including our Weslyan hymns in worship. The Methodist tradition runs deep in our souls.

I have occasionally considered leaving the United Methodist denomination. I visited other churches. But, there was always something missing. I always come “home” to the traditional United Methodist service. 


 




No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...