Sunday, May 01, 2016

Boundaries

This book was recommended to me years ago. I can't remember exactly who told me about it, but reading it was a life changing experience. 

Over the years, I have recommended this book to a number of people, including my own nephew, just this week. This book is written from a Christian perspective, which is especially helpful to those who have allowed fellow "Christians" to make them feel guilty if they say no to anything. 

Once I owned my feelings, I could manage them, at least most of the time. I stopped allowing people to disrespect me. I stopped allowing people to manipulate me through guilt. I stopped allowing people to emotionally abuse me, although they claimed it was because they "wanted what was best for me."

There will always be people who see those who are trying to set healthy boundaries as their personal challenge. They are the ones who will call at times you have already stated are inconvenient. These folks have no regard for your time or energy. They will create a crisis to try to get friends and family to drop everything and come running. 

I don't always succeed in my boundary setting, but practice makes perfect. And I intend to keep practicing! 

 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...