Friday, May 13, 2016

Shona Congo




Most of those who know me, know about my passion for Shona Congo. Four disabled, but absolutely amazing women sew beautiful bags that help support their families. These bags are distributed by a wonderful woman, Dawn Hurley, and the women get the fair profits of their labor. I guess my own mobility issues with my congenital myopathy just drew me to this particular cause.

Being disabled makes these ladies targets for those who would harm them. Two of them have now fled with their families.  Argentine and Mapendo have had to go to a refugee camp. This is not the first time these women have had to pack up and travel miles, often on foot, to seek safety.

The good news is that a non-profit organization, Athabasca Interfaith Refugee Sponsorship Society, is applying to sponsor them for resettlement in Canada. The money has to be raised before they can move to Canada, so that they have enough to live on for a year. This gives them time to start learning a new language and find jobs. Mapendo and Argentine already have sewing skills that will help them earn their livings in Canada as they will be able to continue sewing their bags there. 

I know money is terribly tight for most people I know right now, but, if you have a little to spare and a heart for the plight of people from Eastern Congo, every little bit will help. Make it a really early birthday gift to me or something!  

For more of their story, check out the Shona Congo website. You might even see a bag that you just can't resist!

http://www.shonacongostore.com/overview/ 

 

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aww...Karen thank you for all your love and all your generosity! We are so honored to have you as a friend!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...