Monday, March 05, 2018

Hamilton

Listening to the Broadway cast album of Hamilton (about 50 times!) I was intrigued and decided to read the Ron Chernow tome that inspired this hit musical. 

I began reading this book on July 10th, 2017. I just finished it today, March 5th, 2017. This was by no means the only book I read during this time period. I just had to take breaks from the intense story of this Founding Father periodically. 

Politics was about as nasty during those first years in our young country as it is now. Instead of social media, there were handbills and newspapers. Through these, usually under pseudonyms, political adversaries attacked each other with creativity and gusto. Today's politicians could certainly take lessons on how to insult with aplomb. 

Hamilton was far from perfect. I think we tend to idolize our Founding Fathers to an unrealistic degree. Hamilton was deeply flawed but equally brilliant. 

The part of the book that interested me the most were the chapters about the time leading up to the duel that ended Hamilton's life at the too early age of 49. This was no spur of the moment, in the heat of passion affair. There were weeks between the challenge and the actual duel. It was enlightening to see the difference between the way Hamilton dealt with his time as opposed the way Aaron Burr did. 

Hamilton was well worth the read. I recommend taking it in sections while having lighter fare to turn to when a break is needed. 




1 comment:

Deborah said...

Yes! Completely agree with your assessment of the book. I downloaded it after listening to the musical, too. It did make me more interested in reading about historical figures, though. I would also recommend Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. I found it a friendlier read than the Chernow book, and I have a high regard for Lincoln.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...