Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Arguing

I have never really liked to argue. Growing up with a mom who was a "yeller", I don't like raised voices and words said in the heat of anger. The cliche is true. They can never be taken back and are more lasting than physical blows. 

The older I get, the less I want to argue. I just don't have the energy for it. My limited energy is much better spent in happier pursuits. 

For this reason, I try to stay away from putting things on my personal Facebook page that are bound to start folks to bickering. If I do want to discuss an issue with someone who is mature, I prefer to do it in person or at least in a private message. 

There are some people in my life who make comments to try to bait me into arguing with them. I have tried to make it clear that I am just not interested. These folks are more invested in "winning" than anything else. That can make for an awfully lonely life.  

I am passionate about many things. Art, music, politics, good books, and my faith, to name a few. The likelihood of my changing anyone's mind about anything (especially those at my age and stage) seems pretty slim. I adore much of the work of Saint-SaĆ«ns. My husband is not a fan. I cannot understand this. He would much rather hear a Sousa march. Arguing with him over this would be an exercise in futility. 

Don't get me wrong. I love a rational discussion on any of the subjects I am interested in. I am just not interested in arguing with someone for the sake of arguing. 

I have always loved this quote. 

Argue all you want. I will be painting, singing, reading, writing, and choosing to be happy! 










No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...