Saturday, August 18, 2018

Recovery Musings Part 2

This would be a bit funnier if it were not quite so true right now. However, things are getting better. As my post-surgical pain finally gets better I am able to sleep better at night, which is helping the brain fog. My respiratory therapist reminded me that it takes some time to "pay back" a prolonged sleep debt. If you are curious about sleep debt, check this out.

https://sleep.org/articles/say-goodbye-sleep-debt/

I have officially "graduated" (for the second time!) from Scott Robbins Physical Therapy. I love the atmosphere in his gym. The folks there are mellow but extremely competent. They got me back to pre-surgical form and I am thankful to be back to my version of "normal"   https://scottrobbinspt.com/

Speaking of normal, I now feel like I have my real life back. There were times these past 3 months that I began to wonder if I would ever feel like myself again. It is funny how pain took over my life for the first couple of months to the point where I could not focus on much of anything else. I did not feel like doing any art. I did not feel like reading for very long. There were times when I did not want to talk to anyone (unusual for me, I know!). All I could do was watch the clock and wish time to go by quickly so I could take another Extra Strength Tylenol. Looking back, I probably should have taken the Rx painkillers for a bit longer. But, hindsight is 20/20.

I am looking forward to a couple of short trips in the fairly near future. I'll be turning 59 in October. I want to take advantage of having two good hips to get some things done that I have wanted to do for a couple of years, but have been in too much pain to consider. I still have limitations, but now I have one less to deal with. 

At least I haven't had to drop my pants lately. That may change when I see my surgeon on Monday. I guess he likes to check on his handiwork. If I did work that nice, I probably would too! If anyone reading ever needs a hip replacement, this is the man. 

http://www.capitalorthosports.com/matthew-c-futvoye-md/

Tell him I sent you. 





No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...