Sunday, August 05, 2018

Legally Blonde (Brag Alert)

**Brag Alert**

My niece, Amy has just finished a run in her first leading role at Vicksburg Theater Guild as Elle Woods in Legally Blonde, the Musical. The entire cast was absolutely wonderful, but I want to take this chance to brag on Amy for a bit. 

Amy has been dramatic ever since she entered this world with Strep B and pneumonia, spending her first 10 days in the NICU at Women's Hospital in Flowood. It was touch and go for a while, but Amy made it. There were some lingering issues from the strep infection, most noticeably, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Amy also inherited the family history of depression and anxiety, partly from her Aunt KK (sorry Amy!). 

To see Amy, as an adult, overcome these issues to be the kind, smart, and talented woman she is today is joy beyond measure. Legally Blonde has been a real test of her determination and willingness to work hard at the craft of acting. Amy will be the first to tell you that dancing is NOT her forte'. (Sorry again, Amy! KK can't dance either!) However, she has learned all these dances and held her own against the other young people who have dance backgrounds and even dance teachers. Her pretty singing voice is getting better as she works on it doing these theater productions. 

As for acting, Amy has been doing that since she was old enough to talk! I was always amazed at her ability to quickly memorize the shows she watched on videotape. One thing that I did not expect is just how funny Amy is onstage in her roles. I have enjoyed seeing this new dimension of my beloved niece. 

I did theater back in the 1980's and early '90's. I made friends that I still cherish (alas, most of them have passed to that great Greenroom in the sky). I gained confidence that I do not think I would have had without being a part of VTG. I hope Amy reaps these benefits as well. 

Enjoy every minute of your theater experience, Amy. You're a natural! 







No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...