Thursday, August 16, 2018

Opinion vs. Fact



“A fact is a statement that can be proven true.” “An opinion expresses someone's belief, feeling, view, idea, or judgment about something or someone.” 

On Social Media, I constantly see memes about one having a right to one's opinion. I totally agree with this. OPINIONS are not a problem. 

 When opinion is presented as FACT, without substantiation of any kind, and is unkind, unnecessary, and untrue, 
I do take issue with it. If it is your opinion that Nickleback is the best band ever (hopefully not!) that is fine. I may not agree, but that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. 

However, if you present, in your opinion, that the Earth is flat, I take issue. Eratosthenes, a Greek mathematician, proved that the earth is round over 2000 years ago. And if that is not proof enough, one of Magellan's ships (sans Magellan who was killed during the voyage) made it around the world. And, if THAT is not enough, pictures have been taken from space that clearly show that the Earth is round. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaYPkJU7iTQ

Take the time to check the facts. I try to be careful about what I post, but every now and then I post something that turns out to be bogus. I appreciate it when someone posts and lets me know. I don't want to be that person who spreads false information. It is pretty normal to want to morph opinion into fact in order to fit it into our personal belief systems. Especially when we are being presented with evidence contrary to our preconceived notions. Take a page from Aretha's book (God bless her!) and THINK! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqYnevHibaI


No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...