Thursday, June 27, 2019

Recording

Years ago, I made a recording of some show tunes at a little place located in a Nashville mall. It was not a super professional job, by any stretch, but it was fun. My family and friends seemed to enjoy the CDs I gave them and I felt like I sounded OK.  

Cue trying to record again 20 years later. Twenty years of reflux, allergies, asthma and a neuromuscular disorder. Not to mention 20 years of AGING have taken more of a toll than I realized. 

Over the years, I have tried to take care of my voice. I have stopped singing for months at a time when vocal problems arose. I have tried to maintain good technique. I don't smoke or drink. I have been realistic about lowering my repertoire as the years have gone by. I still practice daily. But nothing can totally stave off the effects of age and illness. 

I have been reading about how other singers have dealt with aging voices. Opera singers change roles or retire, pop singers take things down a step or two and encourage more audience participation in concerts, etc. It all has to do with being realistic, I suppose. 

I don't think I am ready to hang up singing just yet. There is a big difference between singing a song once in a church where a slightly off note might be heard once and hopefully forgotten in the grand scheme of things and on a recording which might be listened to over and over. My sound engineer assures me that his tools can mitigate factors that I am hypercritical of. 

I just have to make peace, as most singers do, over time in one way or another, with the voice I have now as opposed to the voice I had 20 and 30 years ago. There is a saying that time marches on...all across your face! Well, time also marches on...all across your voice! I will learn to be happy with both! 








No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...