Monday, November 02, 2009

New Orleans


I went to New Orleans this weekend to see my husband. I had not been since shortly before Katrina and was not sure what to expect.

On the way down, it was interesting to see the trees. On one side of the road, trees were almost bare, but foliage was sprouting in small patches from the broken limbs. On the other side of the road, the trees had leaves, but were bent and twisted into improbable shapes.

I did not go into the Quarter (alone on a mobility scooter, I did not think this a good idea) or the most heavily flood damaged areas (I was advised not to go there without a weapon!) but I did ride around much of New Orleans. It was nice to see that things looked very "normal."

I also met and talked to people who had come to Vicksburg as evacuees. I was really proud of my small city as they told me about our local merchants, who upon finding out that people were from New Orleans, either gave them discounts on merchandise or food, or just said "on the house."

All in all, I saw a city largely recovered, hopeful, and healing.




1 comment:

bragman101 said...

yo im the new man

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...