Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cousins

I had a wonderful reunion with some of my first cousins yesterday. I don't think we ever really intended for as much time to go by between visits, but life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes.

I grew up in a time where all the cousins came to visit the grandparents and sometimes stayed for days at a time. Even though most of them are older than I am, they made time to play with me and take me out for ice cream at the local malt shop. There were no computers, video games, or cable TV back then, so we entertained each other. I have to wonder if cousins today bond like we bonded back then.

Some of the cousins have been knocked around by life. One has appeared on the 6 o'clock news more than once. Another is about to embark on his third (I hope this one is the charm!) marriage. One could not make it because she is undergoing treatment for cancer.

We all left with updated contact information and a resolution to not let this much time elapse before we get together again.




No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...