Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Little More Talk...

Yesterday I went to a "voice therapist." Apparently this is different than a "speech" therapist. This lady's job is to teach me how to use my speaking voice more effectively.

I am allowed to talk for short periods to people who are in close proximity to me, but not on the phone or anywhere where I would have to raise my voice at all. But what gets me is the way I am supposed to talk. I am essentially supposed to talk the way I sing. This means resonant voice, fairly soft, and on a higher pitch than I am accustomed to speaking on.

Of course, my speaking voice has never been anything to write home about. I have a Southern accent and MG has caused my voice to lower and become more nasal. People are usually surprised when I tell them I am a soprano and are usually surprised because my singing voice is nothing like my speaking voice.

But, the aim is to make my speaking voice as efficient as possible to take stress off of my vocal cords and the nodules. I have to think before I speak (no comments from the peanut gallery here!) and place my voice in what singers call "the mask."

To me, I sound like a robot.

Danger, danger Will Robinson...

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...