Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Shhhhhhhhhhh

Went to the doctor today. Not unexpectedly, all the coughing I did during my bout with bronchitis, coupled with reflux, has caused nodules to form on my vocal cords.

"Node" is a word that strikes fear in the heart of any vocalist. In college, no music student even dared speak the word aloud. The word "nodes" would be spoken of in a hushed whisper. As in "Do you remember ______? She has...nodes!

I have been strictly instructed not to utter a word for the next 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. Like a friend suggested, that can actually be a gift of sorts. But, being vocally restricted for up to 3 months is harder to view that way. And not singing till the end of summer or early Fall is even harder to think about. Not when singing has been like breathing for most of my life.

The doc seemed pretty optimistic. I am trying to be optimistic as well.

So, for the moment, the watchword is

shhhhhhhhh

1 comment:

auntie-c said...

{{KK}} - do what they told you... no matter how hard it is to not talk, do it. Don't even whisper. Trust me on this one!!! Love you!

edykdesg

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...