Saturday, August 02, 2008

Boundaries

Anyone who knows me very well, knows that I preach the importance of boundaries. As a child, I grew up with few boundaries. As a young adult, my lack of healthy boundaries eventually lead to a severe bout of depression.

I have worked very hard to develop and maintain healthy boundaries since then. Most of the time, I do pretty well.

As you regular readers know, I am having trouble with vocal nodes and a new bout of bronchitis. These have necessitated establishing some very strict boundaries about using my voice, particularly on the telephone.

But, there are always people who just have to see if I am going to stretch my boundaries just for THEM. When I am in a period of enforced silence, I usually post on my message board, and send e-mails to my friends telling them that I am not answering my phone and am using a whiteboard to communicate with people face to face.

The only exception to this rule is if one of the 'rents calls twice in a row. Then I know that it is an emergency worthy of risking the future of my singing voice for.

When I can talk at will, I will let the world know.

So, till then, shhhhhhhh!

2 comments:

auntie-c said...

Shhhhhhh! is right!

Don't you dare answer except under those exact circumstances for the 'rents.

Especially if you see my number cuz I'm only calling to leave you a voicemail telling you that I'm thinking of you and love you lots!!!

SuziQoregon said...

Some people are just idiots

:-(

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...