Monday, January 19, 2009

Retirement

My husband is in the process of trying to retire from his job as a nuclear plant operator. He has been there 25 years. The plant has been good to us, allowing us to enjoy a level of financial stability that few people have nowadays.

But, at almost 55, the stress of rotating shifts, constantly changing rules, having to be on perpetual alert for emergencies, and the physicality of the job are getting to be too much. When my usually imperturbable husband gets this stressed, it is time for a change.

He will need a part time job for a while to help make ends meet until we can get into the 401K, in hopes that it will have recovered somewhat in the next 4 years or so.

I admit that my first emotional response to his retirement is sheer panic. I grew up in tight financial times. I was the quintessential "starving student" in college. And the first few years of marriage were very lean times. I dread the thought of having to constantly worry about money at this stage of my life.

But, we have always managed and I know that we will manage now.

I just have to remember to breathe.




2 comments:

auntie-c said...

BIBO, dear one.

Melissa Foster Denney said...

My thoughts are with you, Karen. I believe tough times bring out the best in all of us.

I have to laugh and tell you that my first thought was. . . .DOH!

With love,

Scoot.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...