Thursday, January 01, 2009

Curmudgeon

Maybe I need to make a New Year's resolution not to be so much of a curmudgeon. The older I get, the worse I become. By next year there may be no hope for me at all.

I was brought up to believe that men should not wear hats at the dinner table. Ladies, both young and old should at least comb their hair before being taken out to a nice restaurant. That even in a family home, visiting adult children should act like adults and not children. That "inside" voices should be used and that elders should be respected.

I admit it. I am big on manners. I wish I could give them as Christmas gifts. One size fits all, they never go out of style, and they cost very little.

Good manners for everyone.

Works for me!

3 comments:

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Works for me, too.

Add - children should always say hello to their friend's parents when visiting, and good bye when leaving - or any host for that matter.

Melissa said...

Guess I'm a Curmudgeon too! Funny, I would have thought that all of these things were just common courtesy, but sadly I must be mistaken.

Parents would do their children way more favors by teaching them manners rather than buying them the latest toy.

Oops, sliding my soapbox quietly out of the room now. Just know you are not alone my friend - we can be curmudgeonly together!

Eleanor said...

Amen.

"Yes, ma'am" and "no, sir" also cover a multitude of sins.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...