Sunday, July 05, 2009

"Air"

Like many people, I am sure, I was shocked and saddened to hear of the murder of Steve "Air" McNair yesterday.

Steve had ties to my own city of Vicksburg. His wife, Mechelle hails from here and they got married right down the road at Bowmar Avenue Church. One of my former co-workers, Doug, who played ball at Alcorn State University with him, was in the wedding.

Being one of the closest fair size cities to Lorman, Vicksburg benefitted when fans, media, and professional scouts came to see "Air" in action. You knew when there was a home game by the lines of cars sporting Alcorn flags turning to go down highway 61 South.

When Steve went to the Super Bowl, Doug was sent tickets to the event. And despite all the hoopla, Steve took time to send Doug back to Vicksburg with signed memorabilia that was auctioned off to benefit our local United Way. I remember the excitement at the Mental Health when Doug was showing off these prizes.

I don't know any details. I am not sure I want to know the details. But I do want to pause a moment in appreciation of what this man did for my city, personally.

Thanks, Steve.


No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...