Sunday, July 20, 2008

Church

I went to church again this morning. I avoided it while I was under orders not to speak at all. Just too hard to write down answers to the inevitable questions on my whiteboard or my trusty Magnadoodle.

I have found a place to sit where I don't feel too conspicuous about not singing the hymns. It still does not "feel" right. My "seat" is in the choir! And someone ELSE is sittin' in it!

I saw my choir director's face fall when I told her it was going to be at least 3 more months before I could think about singing. I held on to my friend Sharon as she wept, missing her mother afresh after speaking to one of her mother's oldest friends.

There are some upsides to not being in choir. I actually get to visit with people. Usually, by the time I get my robe off and my folder put away, everyone is gone. I get to sit near the piano so I can watch our accompanist's hands as she makes incredible music. It is MUCH cooler not to have to wear a choir robe under spotlights in Mississippi in July.

So, I continue to carve out a temporary "place" for myself in church.

But come October, I'm takin' MY seat back!






No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...