Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Concerned

My young friend was over tonight. She was in tears over grades, and other teenage troubles. This kid had survived traumatic head injury and cancer by the time she was 9. She is tough. I don't think I have ever seen her cry before. She says she is tired of feeling sad all the time.

But right now, she can't find that toughness. She deals with impossible choices. ADHD meds improve school performance, but have frightening side effects for her. She does not have the kind of structure in her life that enables her to manage without meds. I do what I can, but I have no real authority. The people who do have authority are preoccupied and inconsistent. Although she might not always want to admit it, this kid craves consistency.

I try to be that consistency.

But, is it enough?






1 comment:

auntie-c said...

Prayers that it will be enough, dear one.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...