Sunday, December 06, 2009

December


This has been an odd month so far. Usually, I am the one dying to put up the tree and decorations. I am already planning what to cook on Christmas Day when my father-in-law comes to supper. I usually have most of my gifts wrapped and ready to go.

But so far, I am fairly apathetic. I do have many of my Christmas cards done, but that is about it.

There are several reasons for this, I suppose. One is that I am still waiting for a neurosurgical consult to see what needs to be done about the disc that is protruding into my spinal cord. Using my hands is painful and some tasks are nearly impossible. Another glitch is that my left hand continues to be sore and painful despite rest and anti-inflammatories. Medical appointments (3 this week just for these complaints) are eating into my time and energy.

And what idiot scheduled me for my "50 year" colonoscopy on Friday? Oh yeah, that was me. Although my birthday was in October, it takes weeks to get the thing scheduled. And, of course it needs to take place before the end of the year while deductibles have been met and most of my out of pocket maximum has been met.

Gotta squeeze in the primary care doc and the pulmonologist next week as well. Just routine, but necessary.

As to potential neurosurgery, that would also need to be done before the end of the year if possible. Not exactly my first choice for a Christmas gift. What if I decorate and then can't take the stuff down until, like, February???

Of course, I have good things scheduled. I will see my niece in "A Tuna Christmas" on Tuesday night. Despite the hand problems, I can still paint, even if I have had to explore styles that take a bit less control. There are lovely church services to attend. And, of course, football. :)

And, when I least expect it, the Christmas Spirit will come and gently enfold me.

It does every year.


1 comment:

Melissa Foster Denney said...

I'm sorry you're not exactly in the spirit, Karen. Think about trying something new. . . and simple. It might just surprisingly bring more joy. . .the whole Less is More thing.

I hope you get all of this figured out and it's not as bad as it seems.

Merry Christmas~

M.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...