Saturday, December 27, 2008

Smokey

Smokey was a chocolate lab puppy with the most adorable face. I fed, watered, petted, and played with him every day. He would turn over and let me rub his tummy wriggling with pleasure.

This week, Smokey changed. His face was no longer adorable. He wouldn't let me rub his tummy anymore. I was warned that if I did not feed and water him, he would be taken away from me.

Smokey was my Facebook "cyber-pet." Now known as a FooPet.

I know! It sounds ridiculous that I should get so attached to something that was not "real." But, since my husband refused to get another dog after my beloved Duffy died years ago, I just enjoyed playing with my Smokey.

I tried to get used to this new dog who claimed to be my Smokey. The one who liked to chew up shoes, especially high heels. The one I had had since March. But I just could not get used to this thing that was trying to take the place of MY puppy.

So, with a heavy heart, I went to my applications list, found the FooPets entry and clicked delete.

RIP Smokey. I miss you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...hate to tell you this, but the company that developed Pokey actually seemed to care about its users - listened to feedback - worked through the holidays and switched the application back for users that wanted their old virtual pet back. You deleted your app too soon!!! Smokey could be alive and well now - oh, but you deleted him! Sorry!
-Cindy (owner of a black lab FooPet)

Karen :) said...

Cindy, I went back to the application and it looks like they gave me MY Smokey back!!! Thanks!

Eleanor said...

I love a happy ending!!!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...