Monday, December 29, 2008

Orange Cake


Back when my husband was a boy, his mother made what she called an orange cake. It is a pound type cake with nuts and raisins and then a glaze made with sugar and orange juice is poured over the hot cake and allowed to soak in.

Unfortunately, according to my husband, it only turned out just right ONE time. If the syrup is cooked too long, it does not soak all the way into the cake, leaving much of the cake very dry and crumbly.

After an experiment using (shudder) BOXED pound cake mix by my sister-in-law over Thanksgiving, I decided that I was going to attempt this legendary cake. I started out by putting out a query on a cooking forum about cooking the syrup. I bought the best ingredients, said a little prayer, and set to work.

I am calling it a belated Christmas miracle! The syrup soaked all the way through the cake, leaving it moist and delicious.

I just hope this is not a one-time event for me too!

1 comment:

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Send me the recipe!! That sounds WONDERFUL. I love pound cake and so does my family. I met and have kept a life long friend over a pound cake~ I'll tell you that story one day.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...