Thursday, December 04, 2008

Carols and Kisses

One of my favorite Christmas traditions each year is when I take a huge bag of Hershey's kisses over to my favorite nursing home, get on my scooter, and ride down the halls singing carols and passing out chocolate. Everyone who is able to eat it gets chocolate or a sugar free peppermint patty. Many residents can't peel their kisses, so I unwrap them and gently guide these tiny treasures to eager mouths. I love to see the look of enjoyment on the faces of those who can no longer express themselves in words. The smiles and the eyes say what their tongues can't. If the resident can no longer eat solid food, then he or she gets a "real" kiss.

As for the carols, I never cease to be amazed that even the Alzheimer's patients can sit and sing every word to Jingle Bells or Silent Night even when they no longer know their own names. And some residents will continue to sing, even when I have gone on to the next hall. I can't help but smile when they just keep on singing.

And when I leave, my heart is full of smiles and songs.

And maybe a kiss.

Or two.

1 comment:

Eleanor said...

Made me smile, too. Thanks.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...