Monday, September 29, 2008

Challenge

Yesterday, I signed on for a Weight Watcher challenge with my online buddies. It is pretty straightforward. Stay within POINTS and journal. A friend is taking on my exercise component because of the counterproductive nature of trying to exercise with MG.

Through a discussion with the man who did my stomach testing last week, I realize that the constant sipping and nibbling I tend to do actually play a part in reducing reflux pain. I am hoping to get some answers this week, and hopefully a treatment that is more effective in keeping the pain under control. Trying not to "medicate" the pain is Challenge Hurdle #1.

Prednisone is Challenge Hurdle #2. I am on double the amount I have been on during past challenges. It greatly improves the quality of my life, but causes me to want to eat. My dosage is not huge, but I can tell the difference in my appetite with the increase.

Challenge Hurdle #3 is OCD. I have been getting bad lately about nibbling at night in an attempt to calm my intrusive thoughts. The worst of my symptoms are under control with two medications, but I still have periods of "breakthrough" symptoms that I doubt will ever totally go away. Medicine pretty much keeps my relatively mild OCD behaviors under control. The thoughts are another story. I have never attempted a challenge when I am having this much OCD trouble, but I need to try.


Despite the hurdles, I am going to give this challenge my best shot. A combination of the aforementioned and a lovely vacation have left me unable to fit into much of my wardrobe. And, with the holidays coming, it is just going to get worse.

Bring it on!












1 comment:

Eleanor said...

You can do this! If it helps even a LITTLE, you'll have won!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...