Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Testing 123 (again)

I went to Jackson this morning for my stomach tests. Over the phone, I have to admit that they did not sound that bad.

I get to the office and Paxton (from Braxton) calls me back. I was in the middle of my cellphone Scrabble game, but I groggily got up and followed him to his little room. I was groggy because I could not have my customary Diet Coke this morning. I am not a fun person in the morning without my Diet Coke.

Paxton is a respiratory therapist who performs these tests. After some small talk about our respective vacations, he got down to the nitty gritty. The first test was not so bad. It involved having a small tube put in my nose and slowly lowered to my stomach as I took sips of water. I did my relaxation breathing. Not pleasant, but tolerable. Paxton kept up a steady stream of encouragement.

The second test was not fun. I have to admit, I am a nausea wuss. I hate being queasy worse than most anything. When Paxton showed me the thing (called "the introducer!") that was going to put a little camera in my esophagus, I almost said "no thanks!" But, I let him spray the yukky stuff in my throat and proceed. All his encouragement did not make this one any better, but we managed to get the camera in position.

Then Paxton hands me a $7,000.00 box that has buttons to press for (1) heartburn, (2) regurgitation, and (3) chest pain. Press the appropriate button at the appropriate time. I can do this. The bigger pain is the diary. I have to write down every time I eat, when I start and when I finish. This includes drinking. I also have to write down every time I lie down. There are not enough slots to write an average day of many small meals for me, and I am embarrassed at the thought of having to write on the back, so that will discourage me from eating unless I am really hungry.

Of course, by now I am 5 days without my stomach meds, facing 2 more, so the chest pain button is being hit pretty hard. I am not allowed to sip a drink, chew gum, or suck on cough drops. Apparently this camera is not quite sophisitcated enough to tell what is going down and what is coming up!

But, all this accomplishes it's mission, I may be able to get some lasting relief for this reflux. And it will be worth it.

4 comments:

Eleanor said...

Oh, man. I'm hurting just THINKING about this, Karen!

How do you drink if you can't sip???

Karen :) said...

I just can't sip on a drink over several hours like I normally do. Have to drink something in 10 minutes or less.

Pain is a bit better tonight.

SuziQoregon said...

Oh this just sounds awful! Hope you get a plan for some relief when this is over!

auntie-c said...

Sweetie... I'm so sorry you are doing this one. Did it myself for a 24 hour period and that was miserable enough.

Praying the time goes quickly and the answers are even faster.

love you.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...