Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Portland Day 1


As promised, the travelogue begins!

Gustav cooperated and the planes were flying out of Jackson again the day after Labor Day, so we were able to be off to the great Pacific Northwest.

Thanks to my snazzy new red scooter, I was able to be mobile in the airports for the first time in many years. I had a great time zooming around the concourses during layovers between flights. Thanks to my friend Mel, for suggesting I gate check my wheels!

We checked into the 101 year old Mark Spencer Hotel in the heart of Portland's Pearl District, where the friendly staff did everything they could to make us welcome.

First on our Portland agenda was a trip to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, where a WW II diesel submarine ("boat" to submariners) was open for tours. My former submariner husband toured the boat while I played in t
he kid's portion of the museum. I went in the "Earthquake House" where I had the opportunity to experience what earthquakes feel like. I'll stick with the hurricanes, thank you very much!

After the museum, we rested up a b
it in anticipation of supper with one of my Weight Watcher Online friends, her husband, and her brother at a local brewpub. The food was good, even with Diet Coke instead of beer! Dessert was marionberry (Not THAT Marion Berry!) cobbler and carrot cake with cream cheese flavored ice cream. Yum!

After supper came the highlight of the day! A visit to Powell's Books! Rooms and rooms of books of all descriptions. And, a tall friend to reach up on the shelves to get them for me! My suitcase went home considerably heavier than when it arrived in Portland thanks to my sojourn at Powell's and the book given to me by my friend.

Loaded down with books, Bill and I crossed the street to the hotel (of COURSE I chose the hotel for it's proximity to Powell's!) to get some sleep in anticipation of our Columbia River Gorge tour the next day.









1 comment:

Eleanor said...

NEAT on that earthquake thing -- but ditto about the hurricanes/tornadoes! At least we know they are coming...

I'm glad you didn't eat Marion Berry. The side effects woulda messed you up for sure!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...