Monday, September 22, 2008

Shoes

Nope, not cute new shoes for me. I just got through buying basketball shoes for Sam. She has been invited to be on the Junior Varsity basketball team at her school.

Why am I purchasing basketball shoes for a kid who does not even "officially" belong to me? Because I feel like this is an investment in her future. Studies have shown that girls who play sports tend to make better grades and are more likely to graduate than girls who don't. It is also well known that physical exercise helps keep depression at bay. The structure and discipline of being on a sports team can help girls learn skills that are valuable in the working world as well.

Even if basketball ends up not being Sam's sport, making sure she has this opportunity is worth the investment.




No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...