Friday, September 12, 2008

Day 5: La Conner

Actually, Day 5 started out in Burlington, Washington at the rockin' church of our Mt. Vernon friends. It was a bit different than what I am used to, but I have to say, I really enjoyed it. One of the highlights was singing along on a hymn chorus for the first time in months. I had been given permission for occasional, light vocalizing and I think the voice is finally back. No major singing till I see the doc in October, but this was a start. :) This worship service truly was one of the highlights of my trip.

Then we headed over to the quaint little town of La Conner, to rummage around cute shops and find good eats.
Situated
on the delta near the mouth of the Skagit River, La Conner was founded in the early 1860's and is Skagit County's oldest community. I loved the artwork on the walls of this brewpub (yes, another one!).

In addition to numerous photo ops, we saw a "smart car" close up for the first time. These neat little vehicles would be great for those like me who have fits parallel parking. I was also able to show off my scooter to a man and his wife who were considering purchasing one just like it.


The bronze statue in this picture is of "Dirty Biter" a pup who was the town pet for a number of years. He had his own barstool in his favorite pub and his own place on the dance floor and would just go home with anyone he chose to in the evening. Sounds like some people I knew in college.

We went back to steak and fresh picked grilled corn for supper, again prepared by our Mt. Vernon hostess. And for dessert, with a nod to our favorite gal from Kansas, we had PIE!




2 comments:

Blogger said...

Hi!

Nice blog.
I love the Smart car..

hugs from Brazil
Rafael Lima
http://quotidienlife.blogspot.com

Eleanor said...

LOL on the Biter story!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...